ACE Trains E/18 Stanier Jubilee 5XP - BR 6P/5F 4-6-0 Ex LMS and BR Locomotives
Following grouping the newly formed LMS found itself in a predicament because of an inadequate level of performance of the vast majority of its mainline locomotives. The ‘Royal Scot’ class was introduced in 1927 but due to their heavyweight classification they were restricted to Euston based WCML premier express services and prevented from working the important former Midland line out of St Pancras. Before the Jubilees appeared a number of LMS locomotive developments took place. A rebuilt Claughton class (based on a 1913 design but with a larger, high pressured boiler) was introduced as a lighter LMS express locomotive. The thinking at Derby was they thought they could make a better secondary express loco, by employing the new larger boiler designed for the Claughtons but using the new, modern, Royal Scot chassis. This they did, introducing the Patriot class in 1930 – initially known as the reconstructed Claughton class. A LMS Patriot is a Royal Scot with a large Claughton boiler. Stanier then took the Patriot design, and reboilered it with a GWR-type taper boiler, thus producing the Jubliee class. The LMS Jubilee 4-6-0 class consists of a Royal Scot chassis with medium size LMS taper boiler which initially became known as ‘Baby Scots’ because of their similarity in look and design. The Jubilee was considered to be a wonderful balanced locomotive and a cross between GWR and LMS styles.
The hard working Jubilees were built for main line fast passenger business and used throughout the LMS network working express trains on the WCML, the joint Bristol to Birmingham line but most importantly from St Pancras on the former Midland Railway route. In BR times they saw more extensive work beyond their LMS heartlands. In total 191 locomotives were built between the years of 1934 and 1936; they were constructed in tandem with Stanier’s Class 5 4-6-0 LMS locomotives. All engines in the class had names based on four themes – British Empire territories, British admirals, naval battles and warships. Locomotive no: 45700 was renamed ‘Amethyst’ after its original name ‘Britannia’ was reallocated to the new BR Standard Class 7 in 1951. The Jubilees had problems at first and were associated with poor steaming but with alterations went on to become a reliable class putting in around 30 years of good service on main line duties and lasting well into the 1960s before progressively withdrawn from service under BR’s modernisations plans.
Although they did not attain the prominence of other more powerful LMS express engines, Jubilees’ could also be seen on many sections heading important named trains such as ‘The Thames-Clyde Express’ St Pancras to Glasgow (St Enoch) service. Typically No: 45607 ‘Fiji’ and No: 45639 ‘Raleigh’ were photographed on this service in the 1950s. Whilst originally launched in 1927 the service was reintroduced in 1949 and progressively a mix of ex LMS and LNER locomotives were used on this route especially around Leeds. Jubilees’ operated the St Pancras to Manchester route: In 1938 ‘The Palatine’ and an alternative service known as ‘The Peak Express’ was introduced. ‘The Palatine’ was reintroduced in 1957 where Jubilees’ provided the staple motive power on the route until being replaced by diesels in the 1960s. No: 45575 ‘Madras’ from Burton shed and No: 45616 ‘Malta GC’ could be seen heading the ‘Palatine’ during this period. Jubilees’ were used on a raft of new British Railway (BR) named trains in the early 1950s. ‘The Midlander’ received its name in 1951 and was designed as a two-hour service between Euston, Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton (High Level). This train – designed as a competitor to the former GWR route between Paddington, Birmingham Snow Hill and Wolverhampton (low Level) – used Jubilee class locomotives such as No: 45742 ‘Connaught’ up until the late 1950s when diesel haulage took over.
Another later named train service where Jubilees’ saw service was ‘The Waverley’ introduced on 17th June 1957 which linked the historic and romantic Borders Railway between Edinburgh and Carlisle and then over the old Settle – Carlisle St Pancras line. This section of the route was normally provided by Jubilees’ working out of Leeds Holbeck shed such as No: 45730 ‘Ocean’ and indeed their Jubilees’ ended their working days on this part of the line. Jubilees’ were used on the Leeds to Bristol leg of the cross-country ‘Devonian’ service between Bradford and Paignton/Kingswear which included No: 45597 ‘Barbados’ in the mid-1950s. Jubilees’ also ventured into the Principality heading a variety of seasonal north Walian holiday trains. Jubilee class locomotives could be seen throughout Scotland including secondary routes such as ‘The Granite City’ service between Glasgow and Aberdeen which had its origins from 1933. Jubilees’ (like their Black Five cousins) also saw regular employment on cross-country trains between Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and York.
The Jubilee’s robust nature – many having covered circa 1,500,000 miles at the end of their operating lives – ensured they survived longer than many other steam locomotive classes. The vast majority of the class were withdrawn between August 1961 and October 1967. Four members of the class made it to preservation; all have had boiler tickets for working charters on mainline operation: namely: No: 45593 Kolhapur, No: 45596 Bahamas, No: 45699 Galatea and No: 45690 Leander which had had one of the most varied working careers of any former LMS locomotive.
The ACE Jubilee provides many opportunities to run the locomotive as express passenger, local stopping passenger and parcels services in both LMS and BR eras. In addition the ACE Jubilee locomotive can be used to run the engine for inter-regional passenger and freight traffic combining LMS with joint LNER and GWR workings and a variety of options during the BR era.